Saturday, November 9, 2013

My experience in school uniforms

Yes, that is me bottom left.....
I know, cutest kid you've ever seen right?
I attended Nathaniel Alexander Elementary for Kindergarten and was then rezoned to another school for the rest of my elementary school years. I was very young at the time so I cannot give a very detailed explanation of my experience in uniforms; however, what I can testify is that at age 6 I did not think anything of the uniforms.
I was perfectly fine with wearing the khaki shorts and white or navy shirt every day. In my little 6-year old mind I did not see the differences between me and the other kids because it was as if I was color-blind. My eyes saw only khaki, blue and white, not black, white, rich, or poor. We were all leveled onto the same playing field. I didn't worry about who had the coolest shoes, I only worried about what I would be having for lunch that day.
I thought that every kid on the planet wore uniforms and that uniforms were completely normal, until I went to Mallard Creek Elementary where we didn't have uniforms. At that age your mom is the one that pays for all your clothes and dresses you every morning, and I remember getting into fights with her some mornings about outfits that she picked out for me.
Fashion becomes a bigger deal as we become older, and I wish that I could have continued to go to a school with uniforms. I think it would have been interesting to see how I would have become different as a person.
I think we ALL would have become different people if all kids were required to have school uniforms. We wouldn't have placed our values so much on how we looked and we could have spent our time paying attention to more important things, like personality and character.
People are always advocating for the anti-bullying cause, however no changes are ever made to reduce bullying. Uniforms would be one step towards tackling bullying since there would be one less thing to get made fun of.

No comments:

Post a Comment